Instagram launches Bolt in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
The newest app from Facebook/Instagram — leaked last week — Bolt, is official. The company announced Tuesday that Instagram Bolt has been launched for iOS and Android users in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa. Bolt is a way for people to quickly share images via one-on-one messaging, somewhat similar to the most recent app Facebook launched, Slingshot.
Instagram confirmed the launch to Inside Facebook:
Bolt is the fastest way to share an image or a video — just one tap to capture and send. We decided to start small with Bolt, in just a handful of countries, to make sure we can scale while maintaining a great experience. We expect to roll it out more widely soon.
Here’s how the app works, according to Instagram:
- Users in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa can sign up with their phone number, no email address needed
- Add friends to “favorites” list
- With a single tap, shoot and send a photo or video
- Add text captions if you want – you can also reply directly to messages you receive with a photo or text
- Once you swipe away a Bolt message, it’s gone
Readers: What do you think about Bolt?
Image courtesy of Facebook.