Facebook reaches billion user milestone
Facebook today announced that it has 1 billion monthly active users on the site and its mobile products.
“If you’re reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you,” CEO Mark Zuckerberg wrote in a statement about the milestone. “Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.”
Facebook says it reached 1 billion MAU on Sept. 14 at 12:45 p.m. Pacific time, but the company only shared the news today. Facebook says the top five countries where people connected from at the milestone were Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the U.S., in alphabetical order. The social network also has 600 million mobile users.
The company shared some additional statistics about what having a billion users means for the social network:
- Over 1.13 trillion likes since launch in February 2009
- 140.3 billion friend connections
- 219 billion photos uploaded (as of Sept. 10, not including deleted photos)
- 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times
- The median age of the user is about 22