Facebook Crosses 250 Million User Mark, Adds 100 Million New Users in 6 Months
Another 100 days, another 50 million users for Facebook. Just three months after crossing the 200 million user mark, and six months after crossing the 150 million user mark, Facebook announced today that a quarter-billion people are now actively using the site each month. If Facebook were a country, it would now easily be the fourth most populous in the world.
Earlier this month, we noticed an uptick in Facebook’s recent growth. While Facebook has been growing at around 300,000 to 400,000 active users per day for most of the last three quarters, its growth rate increased in recent weeks to around 700,000 to 750,000 new users per day. Keep in mind, however, that as has been the case for most of the last year, about 70% of that growth is happening outside the United States. Nevertheless, Facebook still grew at a 10% monthly clip in the US in June, up to nearly 70 million active users today.
In addition, Facebook has recently released updated engagement stats about the way users interact with different features on the site. Some highlights:
- 30 million users update their statuses at least once each day
- 8 million users become fans of Pages each day
- 10 million videos are uploaded each month
- 1 billion photos are uploaded to the site each month
- 1 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) are shared each week
- 2.5 million events created each month
- 45 million active groups exist on the site
- 30 million users access Facebook each month through a mobile device
We’ll of course continue tracking all the latest Facebook stats for you here on Inside Facebook.
To dive deeper on how you can engage Facebook’s 250 million users through Facebook Pages, Facebook advertising solutions, Facebook Platform applications, or Facebook Connect for your website, check out Inside Facebook’s Facebook Marketing Bible.