Facebook Now Growing by Over 700,000 Users a Day, and New Engagement Stats
It’s been just under 90 days since Facebook announced it has crossed the 200 million active user mark. Today, that number is somewhere around 240 million, perhaps even close to 250 million. If Facebook were a country, it would now have the 4th largest population in the world.
While Facebook has been growing at around 300,00 to 400,000 active users per day for most of the last three quarters, its growth rate seems to have again significantly increased in recent weeks to around 700,000 to 750,000 new users per day based on data we are tracking from Facebook’s advertising tools.
If Facebook continues at this rate, it could reach 300 million active users by November. Keep in mind, however, that as has been the case for most of the last year, about 70% of that growth is happening outside the United States. Nevertheless, Facebook still grew at an 8% monthly clip in the US in May, up to nearly 70 million active users today.
In addition, Facebook has recently released updated engagement stats about the way users interact with different features on the site. Some highlights:
- 30 million users update their statuses at least once each day (13 million did per month at the beginning of the year)
- 8 million users become fans of Pages each day (up from 2.5 million per day at the beginning of the year)
- 10 million videos are uploaded each month (up from 4 million)
- 900 million photos are uploaded to the site each month (up from 700 million)
- 1 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) are shared each week (up from 15 million per month)
- 35 million active groups exist on the site (up from 19 million)
- 2.5 million notes created each month
- 30 million users access Facebook each month through a mobile device
In other words, Facebook’s growth does not appear to be slowing down yet, and engagement is still on the rise.
We’ll of course continue tracking all the latest Facebook stats for you here on Inside Facebook. To dive deeper on how you can engage Facebook’s 240 million users through Facebook Pages, Facebook advertising solutions, Facebook Platform applications, or Facebook Connect for your website, check out Inside Facebook’s Facebook Marketing Bible.