Who will be the next Charlie Ayers?
Charlie Ayers probably took the most lucrative Executive Chef position ever when he joined a little company called Google in 1999. Six years and millions of dollars in vested stock options later, Charlie retired from Google to start work on his own organic restaurant chain called “Calafia,” run an “innovative corporate well-being” consulting practice, and start his own non-profit, Chefs for Humanity.
For those Executive Chefs hoping to strike it rich in Silicon Valley, you may have another chance – Facebook is now hiring an Executive Chef at its Palo Alto headquarters. Just be sure to request Charlie’s stock option package.
The Executive Chef is responsible for the leadership of the kitchen by managing and overseeing the activities of the entire kitchen as well as menu development and food quality through purchasing organic products, multi-cultural cuisine, kosher foods, etc. This position is also responsible for recipes including menu item presentation, lunch, corporate, and catering events. He/She is expected to maintain high standards by establishing food specifications and adhering to those specifications via recipes, portion control, presentation, safety and sanitation. This position is full-time and located in Downtown Palo Alto.
- Develop, cook, and manage breakfast, lunch and dinner for employees
- Directly supervise all kitchen personnel with responsibility for hiring, training, employee development, performance evaluations, and salary recommendations
- Have knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Develop and test recipes, techniques for food preparation, and presentation
- Must have skills in cooking and preparation of a variety of foods
- Possess ability to supervise and/or assign training for kitchen staff
- Possess ability to plan a variety of menus on a daily basis
- Possess knowledge of food supplies, equipment and services, ordering and inventory control
- Ensure cost effective production of the highest quality food
- Establish, manage, and maintain all vendor relationships
- Consult with Facebook’s Catering/Event Coordinator on a weekly basis as well as with other departments if necessary
- Be accountable for the financial aspects of the F&B department ensuring a profitable operation
- Other duties may be assigned